Self-made Hojicha (Roasted Green Tea)
Hojicha is produced by roasting the green tea over heat. Because of the roasting process, Hojicha is rich in flavor and aroma, contains less caffeine and has a nice brown color. You can make Hojicha at home by following the simple steps described in my recipe.
Servings 5 cups
- 5 tsp Green Tea Leaves
- 3 1/2 cup Hot Water
- Put the green tea leaves in a frying pan and turn to medium heat.
- Roast the green tea leaves over low heat for about 2-3 minutes until the green tea become light brown. Swirl around the green tea leaves in the pan. Be careful not to burn them.
- Turn the heat to low and roast the green tea leaves for another 10-12 minutes until it becomes dark brown and aromatic.
- Turn off the heat and put the roasted tea leaves in a strainer to remove burned unsavory leaves.
- Put the roasted tea leaves or Hojicha in a teapot and add the boiling water.
- Cover the teapot and steep the tea leaves for about 30 seconds.
- Serve hot in the tea cups.