Genmaicha is produced by mixing the lower-grade green tea leaves with roasted brown rice. Genmaicha has both refreshing flavors of green tea and distinctive aroma of the roasted brown rice.
Servings 5 cups
- 5 tsp Green tea leaves
- 5 tsp Brown Rice
- 3 cup Hot Water
- Rinse the rice as instructed on your package and dry them with a paper towel.
- Put the rice in a frying pan and roast the rice at high heat for about 1-2 minutes until the rice starts to pop.
- Turn to medium heat and cover the frying pan with a lid. Roast the rice for about another 20-30 minutes until it turns brown.
- Turn off the heat and take out the roasted rice from the pan.
- To short cut the process, you can also put the rice in a paper bag and heat it in a microwave for about 1-2 minutes until the rice gets light brown and aromatic.
- Mix the roasted rice with the green tea leaves to make genmaicha.
- Put the genmaicha tea leaves in a teapot and add the boiling water.
- Cover the teapot and steep the tea leaves for about 30 seconds.
- Serve hot in tea cups.